The Easter Egg- a true story  

Posted by: Elise Mason in ,

I don't honestly remember much about my  teacher Mrs. Watson's house
beyond the corner- I spent alot of time in that corner,
most of that time I spent reading a graph that was pinned to the wall above the booster seat I was in
or counting my toes, which at the time was a worthy occupation.
I rarely had any conceivable idea as to the length of my stay , or even more  rare, the reason or it but looking back I realise that after I knew her for a time the twitch on the left side of Mrs.Watsons face became semi-permanent , so I probably deserved it...
It was probably Easter, well no, it was probably the wednesday BEFORE Easter because if it had been Easter I wouldn't have been there.I don't remember EVER spending a holiday  at her house and if I did I wouldn't want to because it was most likely a miserable event.
But it was an Easter-themed day for sure, with pastel coloring boards, rabbits ears and, to my doom, painted eggs.
We were all given a pastel colored egg in an egg holder , paint and a brush, the trouble began when I was handed my egg, a lovely lavender orb seated on a green flowered tube, and told to paint it-
for a few minits  sat, simply holding the beauty - then the assistant came behind me and took my hand, like a puppets arm , to pick up the brush TO DIP IT IN PINK PAINT , I VAGUELY REMEMBER HER CHEERFUL VOICE SAYING "LOOK!" I WATCHED IN HORROR AS MY OWN HAND  STAINED THE PEARL WITH A LONG SPLOTCH OF PINK , AFTER STE HAD MOVED ON I USED THE PLASTIC TABLE CLOTH TO HASTILY WIPE AWAY THE OFFENSIVE COLOR FROM ITS OPALESCENT SURFACE BUT THE PINK STAIN REMAINED, RUINING ITS BEAUTY AND SHATTERING MY CONTENTMENT
I BEGAN TO PROTEST IN THE MOST EFFECTIVE WAY I KNEW, I CRIED.
NOT A QUIET SOBBING, BUT A LOUD NEVER-ENDING WAIL WITH A LUNG CAPACITY I HAVEN'T BEEN ABLE TO DUPLICATE YET AND HAVE ONLY SEEN DONE BY THOSE OF A CERTAIN AGE


To her credit, Mrs.Watson was almost immediately at my side, not that it helped, the egg was ruined!!
her and her assistant tried to coerce me into further ruining the disaster with first blue, and then purple paints the latter I threw across the plastic-lined table  causing two other eggs to be ruined
the next thing I remember is sitting in the corner, staring at my shoe-tops and thinking of my now pink/blue egg mess on the table soon my mind had adjusted to the idealized color of my egg...
ten minutes later she came back for me, her typical question of 'are you ready to behave now?'  noddingly answered, she took my hand and as she led me back to the others I looked into her eyes and said "can I paint my egg now?"
I wonder if she still has that twitch.

This entry was posted on Wednesday, October 28, 2009 and is filed under , . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

0 comments

Post a Comment